Changing Our Self
It all started when the industrialist James C. Self built Self Memorial Hospital and donated it to Greenwood County in 1951. At that time, the hospital was among the most progressive in the country.
The mission then: provide a healthcare facility convenient to residents, reducing travel distance for treatment and visitation.
Since then, some things have changed. Our services and
facilities, for example, have been greatly improved.
Based on community need and our focus as a regional facility, Self
is investing $133 million to improve and expand key areas. As a
result, people receive top quality care and stay close to friends,
family and home. This increases patient comfort, peace of mind and,
according to some experts, helps speed recovery.