Want to Say Thank You to Your Nurse?
Share Your Story!
What is The DAISY Award?
The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune System) Award is an international recognition program that honors and celebrates the skillful, compassionate care nurses provide every day. The DAISY Foundation was established by the family of J. Patrick Barnes. Patrick died in 1999 at the age of 33 from complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP). During his eight-week hospitalization, his family was impressed by the care and compassion his nurses provided, not only to him, but to everyone in the family. When he died, they felt compelled to say “thank you” to nurses in a very public way. They created the DAISY Award in Pat’s memory to recognize those nurses who make a big difference in the lives of so many people. Please say thank you by sharing your story of how a nurse made a difference you will never forget!
Our DAISY Award honorees demonstrate the PETALS principles. They portray excellence through their clinical
expertise and compassionate care. They are recognized as role models in our nursing community. Each DAISY Award
Honoree will be recognized at a public ceremony in her/his unit, and will receive:
- a beautiful certificate
- a DAISY Award pin
- a hand-carved stone sculpture entitled A Healer’s Touch
Please describe a situation in which the nurse demonstrated at least one of these PETALS principles and made a meaningful difference:
P: Shows Passion/Compassion for nursing and the care they provide
E: Establishes a special connection by the use of kindness, sincerity and the emotional support
of patients and their support systems.
- Keeps patient and support system at the center of care
- Integral member of the care delivery team
- Works collaboratively with the healthcare team to meet patient and support systems’ needs
- Good communicator
A: Always creates the best experience
- Exhibits high standards of professional practice
- Is a role model for attitude and care delivery
- Consistently goes above and beyond
L: Love for the nursing profession
- Mentors students, externs, and new hires
- Involvement in professional organizations
- Professional growth through clinical ladder and/or certification in specialty
S: Shows respect
- Treats everyone with kindness, courtesy and respect
- Portrays a positive attitude
How to Nominate an Extraordinary Nurse
Patients, families, visitors, nurses, physicians, and other team members may complete this nomination form online below, OR print the form and submit it to any DAISY drop box OR mail to our DAISY Coordinator: Sharon Walb, RN,MBA/HM at: Self Regional Healthcare, Nursing Administration, 1325 Spring Street, Greenwood, SC 29646